STEFANOS I. KORFIAS
τηλ: +30 6932458361, +30 2107205553
- Senior Lecturer, Dpt of Neurosurgery, University of Athens, Evangelismos Hospital
National & Kapodistrian University of Athens, Medical School (1989-1995)
APPOINTMENTS AFTER GRADUATION
- General Practitioner in Medical Centre of Karpathos, Greece (1995-1996).
- Military service as a Health Officer (General Practitioner) in Rhodes Island, Greece and in 401 General Army Hospital of Athens, Greece (1996-1998).
- General Surgery Training in Ippokrateio General Hospital of Athens, Greece (1999).
- Neurosurgical Training in Department of Neurosurgery University of Athens Evangelismos General Hospital, Greece (2000-2004).
- Specialist Registrar (Neurosurgery) in Newcastle General Hospital - Regional Neuroscience centre Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK (2004-2006).
- Senior Specialist Registrar (Neurosurgery) in Royal Free Hospital London, UK (2007).
- Senior Specialist Registrar (Neurosurgery) in Charing Cross Hospital, London, UK (2007).
- Senior Specialist Registrar (Neurosurgery) in Queens Hospital, London, UK (2007-2008).
- Associated Specialist (Neurosurgery) in the Dpt of Neurosurgery, University of Athens, Evangelismos General Hospital, Greece (2008).
- Locum Consultant Neurosurgeon in the Dpt of Neurosurgery University of Athens, Evangelismos General Hospital, Greece (2009).
- Consultant Neurosurgeon, Dpt of Neurosurgery University of Athens, Evangelismos General Hospital, Greece (2009-2012).
- United States Medical Licensing Examinations (USMLE):
Step 1 (Basic Sciences Examination): 1995.
Step 2 (Clinical Sciences Examination): 1998.
- ATLS (Advanced Trauma Life Support) Certificate: 2001.
- ALS (Advanced Life Support) Certificate: 2002.
- Microsurgery Diploma: 2003.
- · Doctoral Thesis (Ph.D. in the University of Athens): 2004.
- Certificate of completed attendance at the cycle of European Courses in Neurosurgery: 2004.
- · Neurosurgical Examinations for Certificate of Completion of Specialist Training (Athens - Greece): 2004.
- European Examination Diploma: 2005.
- 2nd best degree in Hellenic National Chemistry Competition and Greek Delegation in ΧΧΙ International Chemistry Olympiad (Germany, 2-10 July 1989).
- Beneficiary to a scholarship by the Athens University Legacy Foundation (Antonios Papadakis Legacy), from 1991-1995, granted after examinations.
- · Highest graduation mark from Athens Medical School on July 6th 1995.
- Distinction of best paper presented in the 4th Hellenic Congress of Clinical Chemistry (Athens, 2002), entitled: Protein S-100B as a prognostic factor in brain injury.
- Scholarship for postgraduate studies on Neurosciences by the State Scholarships Foundation (IKY), granted after national examinations on Neuroanatomy, Neurophysiology, Molecular Cell Biology & English Language.
- Scholarship for postgraduate studies on Neurosurgery by the Alexander S. Onassis Public Benefit Foundation.
- Distinction / Scholarship for postgraduate studies on Neurosurgery by the Hellenic Neurosurgical Society (Athens, 2005).
- Distinction of best paper presented in the 20th Hellenic Congress of Greek Neurologists, (Larissa, 2006) entitled: Protocol and Results of the Athens University Epilepsy Surgery Group at Evangelismos General Hospital
- · European Society for Stereotactic & Functional Neurosurgery (ESSFN) Research Grant 2010. Subject: Transcranial Alternating Current Stimulation (tACS) effects on Cognitive Event-Related Potentials in patients with Persistent Vegetative State (PVS) or Minimally Conscious State (MCS)
MEMBERSHIP OF SCIENTIFIC SOCIETIES
- Athens Medical Association
- General Medical Council (GMC): Specialist Registration
- Society of British Neurological Surgeons (SBNS): Associate Member.
- Euro-academy of Multidisciplinary Neurotraumatology (EMN): Full Member.
- European Society for Stereotactic & Functional Neurosurgery (ESSFN): Full member.
- International Neuromodulation Society (INS): Full member.
- South-East European Neuromodulation Society: General Secretary & Full member.
- Hellenic Neurosurgery Society: Full member.
- European Association of Neurosurgical Societies (EANS): Full member.
FIELDS OF SPECIAL INTEREST
- Functional Neurosurgery
- Pathophysiology of Brain Injury
- Pituitary Surgery
- Trigeminal Neuralgia